Old 05-06-20, 08:54 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Exactly this. If you are going 10 mph and fall over the helmet will do nothing.
This is wildly incorrect.
If you hit your face or forehead (most likely outcome) it will do nothing.
Again, stated with such certainty makes me worry about your relationship with reality.
If you get hit full on by a car at 30+ miles an hour you are either dead or better off dead. And regardless, what good does a helmet ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD ONLY do on that circumstance? It's just ridiculous, they are absolutely worthless. In fact they can sometimes cause injuries and brain swelling you otherwise would not have gotten.
Statistically, even in a severe accident, the helmet will improve your odds of living.

There hasn't been a single documented case that I've seen of a helmet making an injury worse, or causing an injury that might not have otherwise happened. Show me some data.

Really, that's just idiocy. If you don't want to wear a helmet, fine. Don't. But don't spread misinformation like that. It's like people who don't want to wear seatbelts because there's a one in a million chance that the seatbelt might somehow keep them from escaping a burning car (or whatever idiotic scenario you can come up with). Just own your 'independence'. Honestly, we're ok with it if you don't want to wear a helmet. Really. Might be better for all of us in the long run.

The odds are that these safety measures help. That's science and statistics. Period.