Old 05-08-20, 11:47 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by BassistBiker
Thanks, I'll go look for some videos!

And I've got a rack and a set of bags on order.
Brooks saddles sit higher off the rails than many seats. If you didn't lower your seat height when you installed the saddle, that is most likely what is wrong.

Even if you did, the most likely issue is that seat is too high. I had a lot of issues with mine until I got the seat height correct, and that wasn't done using formulas. Those may get you in the ballpark, but all placed me slightly too high, and I wasn't stable on the saddle. Once I lowered my seat, I was more stable on the bike, I am solidly planted on the saddle, I don't slide forward, I can ride no hands easily, and I have zero pain anywhere. My seat is also not tilted ridiculously high in the front, in fact, it doesn't really look tilted at all, and yet I am not sliding forward. That is because it is in the right place, and not too high.

On my tour last year I had no issues and could ride all day with no pain from the saddle, and get on and ride again the next day. The longest day was 70 miles.

Modern saddles make it easy to run a seat height that is actually too high. A Brooks will show you very painfully that you are doing that. Not only did I have perineum pain, I had a little lower back pain, muscular, and my hip hurt sometimes after longer rides. What really told me something was off, was the dimples in the saddle were formed off to the right, and not centered on the saddle. That told me I was dropping to one side to compensate for a too high saddle height. Once I dropped it, the dimples reformed over time, in the proper places.

Read these and reassess you seat height. If nothing else, simply drop it a bit. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/ And this one: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/

You might want to check out Bikefitjames on Instagram. He often ends up lowering the saddle as part of his fits since so many today come to him with a seat that is too high, and a reach that is too great. A too high seat height, and excessive reach are the two things that tend to give the issues you are having.
Likes For phughes: