Old 05-09-20, 10:11 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Okay, here goes...

Piff Not sure if I got back to you about the first article you posted about the mystery frame materials, but that was really good!

botty kayer Yes, wider tires are something I routinely go for, but with the current build idea I'm looking for more speed and less rolling resistance, so that may not be the route I'm heading in! Comfort is still critical, of course, but I was hoping to find some balance.

Doug Fattic Thank you kindly for your input, sir! Considering the tubing thicknesses and geometry really seems to get to the crux of the issue beyond frame material, though perhaps I did not realize how much at first. I did mention that I'm looking at frames with "similar geometry" but I'm sure even imperceptible nuances can make quite a difference! I have a lot of hobbies, and a few of them can involve many technical details... As an artistic person aesthetics are the most fascinating thing for me to admire, so I fear I won't be able to keep up with my homework if I were to delve into the exact tubing specifications for the frames that interest me, or what those details might entail. I suppose I'll just be smart and rely on the respectability of the original frame builders and the general riding characteristics I desire, and keep things simple!

merziac I'd like to apologize if I came off as snippy in my earlier post. I did not get any vibe that you thought so but apparently I bothered some other people... And again, having carefully read about the experience you had building up your Strawberry really made me consider the idea of a custom frame set anew. Most importantly, I realized that even within a budget, I need to consider my options very carefully to come out feeling like I've had something made worth the while!

RiddleOfSteel Thanks for the time I've taken to chime in. I really love your various builds and your inseam must be a couple of inches longer than mine - I can just straddle my 25.5" Raleigh Super Course frames with a 34.5" inseam. Hearing about your experiences on multiple frames made using the same tube sets is enlightening, and of course to be expected given the parameters already considered in this thread. Most of my experience riding vintage steel has been on 531, whether butted or not. Otherwise it's been Fuji VALite, mid-level Tange chromoly, three modern carbon fiber bikes, a composite aluminum frame with carbon stays and fork, and not much else... I think since I started road cycling 10 years ago at the ripe age of 21 or so, I've owned and ridden about twenty bikes. At least half of them were 531.

As far as the Gatorskins go, I'm admittedly only on my second pair on the second bike, because a lot of the regular riders I've had in between have had 27" rims that I bought fat Kenda tires for. However, I put a few thousand miles on my first pair of 32mm Gatorskins and only had two flats - both times they were literally nails sticking into my front sidewalls. I never had a goathead penetrate a Gatorskin, while they've caused virtually every flat I've had on other tires.

L134 Okay, so I think tubulars are in my future, but for now I believe that the suggestion made by Classtime is most viable for me. I should go in for some really nice clincher tires like the new Continental GP 4000 or 5000 series to see what I can get out of those before any deeper dives... If I don't even know what the nicest clinchers can feel like (which I don't) then how can I even appreciate the real qualities of tubulars in comparison? I only have 250-300 miles on the Gatorskins I'm currently using, and will ride them for the rest of summer (when I have minimal time anyway due to this being my busy season at work) and then make the switch to some of the nicest Continentals. The reviews I read about the 4000/5000 series have all been stellar. I'm in!

seypat & nlerner You guys seem to have the jist of it... The article posted about the vertical compliance was fascinating, and I'm convinced! I believe that for future frame consideration I'll take horizontal stiffness and geometry into consideration as primary factors for how much I can push it around. I have had at least two butted 531 frames that I can visibly see flex in while I'm stomping on the pedals, so if I'm after pure speed I probably need to consider mitigating such things! I'll stick to tires and other bouncy stuff to make my rides more comfortable. The old Brooks B17s I regularly ride on must play a major part in all of that, since they have a few mm of spring at the center.

noglider When I started this thread I had the idea in my head that I could find a frame to attribute wonderful qualities to, but I'm pleased to say that I may begin focusing on these other, more scientifically-inclined ideas about tires and such in order to reach my goals! Maybe at the end of it all I'll just choose a frame because the fit is right and I like the paint job... I can nitpick over everything else and alter the hell out of how it rides in any case!

I hope everyone has a lovely and safe weekend. Cheers!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988: