Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The OP is carrying two tubes, a patch kit, multiple CO2 cartridges, and a pump for a 50-75 mile ride. That seems like overkill -- you can lose the second tube and extra CO2 if you have a patch kit and a pump -- just as you are doing.
I carried the same in an Arundel Dual (excl the pump).. so it's not really overkill if your bag holds it -- ie. you might as well. My pump sits attached with a bracket that fits under the DT water bottle cage. It's for that 3rd flat possibility, or screwing up while using a CO2, or for slow leak scenario where you can get home by just topping off the leaky tire. Like patches, using a micro pump comparatively sucks vs CO2s from speed and effort standpoint.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Patches make more sense than a second spare tube. Weigh less, smaller, and you are prepared for several subsequent flats, not just one more. However, I've read that some folks are unable to competently patch a tube. If that's a concern, then carry more tubes.
2-3 glueless patches take almost no room and weigh next to nothing. These are carried for the reason that there's no reason not to... and sit in the bag (or in a wallet) for the 3rd flat eventuality. OTOH -- patches suck in terms of the time spent having to use them vs just throwing in a new tube. It's not so much the time actually patching, but eg. a good number of my flats have been the tiny radial wire slow leaks -- finding the actual hole in the tube is what can take quite a while. If you're riding with a group, it's a downer making others wait longer than necessary.
Likes For Sy Reene: