View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 03:04 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
This reminds me of a story about my Uncle Fred, a working jazz guitarist. Worked constantly through his late 80s, only slowed down to 10 gigs a week when past 90. He had nice guitars. For example all his electric guitars were gifts given him by Les Paul. Those guitars were maintained in peak condition constantly.

Fred was also the tightest cheapskate anyone has ever known. ...His guitar service people were tipped heavily. Very heavily. Tips for every job and a nice big tip for Christmas.

When he died I inherited his old Honda. When I stopped at the guitar gallery in that car I was treated like royalty.
I posted previously on this current thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a particularly upbeat, decades-long relationship with my LBS.
Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal.

The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective.

I tip well, not, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because i am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
”Tip your LBS”

Personally, i think tipping in anything but cash is condescending. As described above, i have a congenial, but respectful relation with all the mechanics at my shop, but I don’t think any of us have intentions to be “buddies,” and share some brews, bourbon, doughnuts, or whatever; or even know their preferences.

Imagine offering a non-cash tip to those workers who are traditionally tipped in cash…waiters, hotel bellmen, cabbies, hairstylists…

For me, my bike mechanics provide a vital service that I think about for example when hurtling down a steep hill, secure that the bike won't fall apart.
I’m on a first name basis with the staff there, and they have a friendly nickname for me. Sometimes on long walks through the commercial public bathroom-poor neighborhood, I stop by, even occasionally just to peruse the cycling accessory inventory.

Their suggestions are always spot on.