View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 03:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11068 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,256 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Yes, I'm riding along and hear a car approaching. I hear the sound getting louder, and through the power of deduction, am able to surmise that it's probably getting closer, even though i can't see it. Just as the vehicle is about to overtake me, I will take a quick look back, like a pitcher monitoring a runner on 2nd base.

I note lane position, speed, and line of travel, and give the vehicle an unconscious "concern" quotient based on its appearance and how loud it is. At this point, I still have a second or so to react if any potential problem is detected. That might mean moving over a little, or it might mean exiting the pavement.

So yes, it is possible to react to potentially dangerous passes if you decide to stay alert. But unfortunately, it's probably not possible to react if a person decides not to stay alert (i.e., headphones).
oh, you look back at every car just before it passes?
Gotcha.

I don't do that, even when I dont wear headphones and ride roads with the youth cycling program I volunteer with.

Looking back at each car just before it passes seems...well to each their own.