Old 05-11-20, 05:04 PM
Nomad2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
If the weight, fit and ride are what I wanted, I wouldn't worry about whether it's 853 or not. It wouldn't have a discernable effect on the ride - especially with our new fat tires. Also, speculating a bit, my limited experience with 853 is that it's too hard (as in material hardness) for efficient post weld machining. 853 ST and HT's are difficult to quickly/easily ream and it wears out tools faster. If this is the case, your current bike might only be 853 in the DT/TT (I'm guessing here but...seems likely).

It looks like the XR is made from 725 which is a similarly high end heat treated tubeset. The XR would be a full upgrade from your current bike including braze-ons, wheel fitment, headtube size and fork. It's any easy choice for me - aside from the $$.

I'm less sure what to tell your wife about the paint! :-) You could have a painter put some accents on it for relatively little $.
The stays on my bike aren't 853. Apart from the colour, the thing that worries me about the Norco is the press-fit bottom bracket.