View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 01:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
A family member of mine use to ride a mountain bike (as do many people I know) on the road and it worked for him for quite some time. He recently wanted to upgrade since that bike was rather heavy in weight and the ride, too, was pretty "heavy" as well.

He wants a new bike, but I think a road bike might be too aggressive a frame for him. Is there anything with road bike qualities (light, fast, etc), but with an upright structure similar to that of a mountain bike? Is a hybrid what we're looking for? I'm honestly not sure. Whichever style you guys think is best, I would really appreciate if you could provide a few recommendations. Any and all comments and opinions are welcome as well. I'd like to be as informed as possible before we head out to the shop.

Thanks in advance.
He should be test riding bikes (is that still a thing?), probably hybrids, if he can find some. They've been flying off the shelves at every LBS I've seen. As for aggressive road bikes, you can raise the stem to be level with or slightly higher than the saddle for a more comfortable ride, or find a road plus/all road/adventure style bike. Depending on what kind of riding he wants to do.

Or, this.

Likes For Korina: