View Single Post
Old 05-13-20, 09:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So I've now seen MUP come up at least a dozen times, and instances of well, people do this in their cars easily of equal number. Neither of those things really matter to this topic. I've still yet to see even a single incident where the cause of any harm was headphones/earbuds. They've so far all boiled down to some people don't ride bikes good. I get it, I understand. Some people don't feel safe. They feel unsafe to the point that their feelings spill out, and they are consumed by the need to make other people safe. To MAKE THEM SAFE. Well, there are a great many of us completely competent and capable of calculating our own risks. I don't need to be nannied.

But to make this post appropriately BF, I'll conclude with-- don't worry about me not hearing you when you say yer gonna pass me brah, because you're never gonna pass me.

There, that seems right.
I will drink from your water bottle.... IN HELLL!

Honestly, I think my answer to OP was I'm not comfortable blocking my own hearing, and from what I've seen there are people who probably think they're fine doing so only because they're unaware of their close calls.

While I'm not aware of anyone actually getting killed because they couldn't hear, I wouldn't know how that ever could be proven even if it was the case. It's one of those "absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence" situations.