Old 05-13-20, 09:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Paint

I was going to have them use some spray.bike paint and make it a full DIY, but ended up doing a combo of well don’t and DIY. I took it to a local business which for $125- bought the specific powder color, blasted the frame for prep, and coated it. The results are great. It is thicker than wet paint and so lug work isn’t as pristine and detailed, but the alternative was to have 2 kids go at the frame with spray powder!

Also, it’s a Schwinn Tenax frame…hardly some artisan build. Its perfectly serviceable, but the tubes aren’t mitered in the bottom bracket, the finish at the dropouts is safe but nothing to highlight, lugs aren’t thinned or shaped, etc etc. Powdercoating doesn’t exactly ruin the lug shorelines is what Im getting at.

What I was talked into was finishing the frame with red flake clearcoat. So I we have a can and are now waiting for the weather to be warm and not windy to apply this. The finish wont appeal to everyone, but it was picked out by some kids, so there is that.

Here are pics of the frame with powdercoar, but no red flake yet.
The color is a light gray blue with some silver fleck.