Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I want the housings to be long enough that my bars can touch the top tube. I also want to be able to remove the handlebars without removing the brake levers or calipers.
There's a man who's been there.
NB In an earlier post I did mention that I run my cables 3-5 cm longer than when I was racing... and there's the reason why...

Now... back to the competition! For it to be fair and balanced, the size and type of the bike must be factored in. Tandem, eh. Recumbent, eh. Unridable, nailed to the wall ... Well that one was truly hysterical. But still, unrideable, so eh. But how to actually level the playing field? Pondering, I came upon this solution.
​​​​​​​

Defining excessive cable length (CL)e as the ratio expressed in the formula (CL)e = [CL- Dstem]* / D(Lf-Cf) **
*(where Dstem= distance required to get stem out of headtube)
**(where D(Lf-Cf) equals the shortest possible distance between brake lever ferrule and caliper ferrule, on a properly assembled and ridable bike.)

I think we now have a reasonable basis for judgement... a ratio of actual cable length to minimum requirements.

And the winner is:

I came across this in my eBay "suggestions"this evening. My first thought was put to the BB above the tube elbow, so it is supported and does not fall if weld cracks. 2nd thought, a contendah!

Last edited by Last ride 76; 05-14-20 at 05:41 PM.