View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 06:53 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I've gone 1x on all my bikes but the reasoning for me made sense. Before I was running 2x9 on the road with a 46-30 front ring and a 12-36 cassette. I knew I wasn't strong enough to push a 46-11 at the time and the 30-36 was enough of a bailout gear to keep me moving along if I needed it. I realized the jumps in the 9 speed cassette were fine to the point where I didn't feel like I needed the smaller jumps between gears with a similar 11 speed cassette.

My experience with the 9 speed setup really influenced my decision to go 1x, so now I'm running a 42 front with 11-46 11 speed cassette. It does the job for my type of riding which is just mostly urban, and I get the minor benefit of slightly more tire clearance.

If there's any point I want to make here it's know what you want to ride, where you want to ride, and what you *personally* need to make that ride as smooth as possible. Also if you find out something isn't working out well for you, don't be afraid to change things up!