View Single Post
Old 05-20-20, 02:16 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
How about a Rudge Fast Sport?

I was dropping off a couple bikes at the Bike Exchange today after doing at home Covid resto and was snooping around to see if there was anything interesting in the pile that I hadn't worked on.

There in the front was this ladies model Rudge Fast Sport that someone had just donated to us. I have never seen one of these before and can't wait to tear into it. The most unusual feature is the brake set up. They are a type of cantilever design with a difference. When you squeeze the brake lever instead of pulling up on a straddle cable forcing the shoes into the rim, on this design the brake cable forces the rigid v shaped straddle to push down on the canti arm and push the pad into the rim. while this is interesting it seems totally unable to create much stopping power. another interesting item is the seat , which is made by a company named Mesinger in Bethel Connecticut. It has a solid steel seat pan with springs in back. I have never seen that either.

The number stamped on the bottom bracket is A44 2050 so if anyone is rudge knowledgable what year is that? Also, the bike hes wing nuts on the axles. Don't know if that is original. They look new.

I am going to clean everything and probably do a repaint , masking of the decals. I don't know what to do about the brakes though. The shoes are not something I have seen before and the bike won't stop without something being done about that. hopefully I can get kool stops to work .

Oh, Almost forgot, I just finished a rather large Ladies Raleigh sport. This one was in silver metalic and sported Weinman side pull brakes. Nothing else special about it. I clear coated the fenders and chain guard and replaced the brake cables and covers and re greased the front axle. Everything else was in good condition including the steel wheels. I had a set of Cool Stop brake pads in my stash so I gave the lady a new pair of shoes. Girls usually like that. added new reflectors and she is ready for her debut. All you tall ladies out there, this bike is for you.

Last edited by capnjonny; 05-20-20 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For capnjonny: