View Single Post
Old 02-08-06, 11:33 AM
auto208562

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um...not really. The wheels are the same size. The bike above you are looking at has the same size as the most common tri/road bikes, the 700cc. And the front and rear are the same size also.

What I am saying is, both the road bike and tri bike will get you in a more aero position. The road bike because of the drop bars and the tri bike because of the aero bars. The MTB bars sort of make you sit straight up almost. The tri bike is the best option for triathlons in my opinion because of all the info about geometry (helps to save the hamstrings, more aerodynamic) but many opt for a converted road bike.

You aren't going to get a tri bike for $550 at least not new, and probably not even used.

I suggest a road bike not only because of price but also because she's probably not 100% sure she wants to do tris since it will be her first (she may not like it), so a road bike will give her the most options later for rec riding, etc. She can also add aero bars later to a road bike. The road bike is most versatile. It is more comfortable in the fact that it was more options for hand positions. The tri bike is a little more aggressive so it's not very comfortable to sit up for too long, it's just made to be in the aero position more. If she bought a tri bike now, and she ends up not liking it, it's not really a rec bike. The tri bike is more functional made primarily for triathlons.

I like FELT as a road bike maker.

Last edited by auto208562; 02-08-06 at 11:54 AM.