Thread: Fork swap
View Single Post
Old 05-23-20, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
planning a fork swap in the next cpl of weeks. ordered essentially the exact same fork (brand & model) but it has 20mm more travel. hoping it's an easy job, well, not easy, maybe just doing in a few hours

was gonna try it w/ whatever tools I had laying around but watching videos it seemed like it would be smarter & easier to have all these tools:
  • headset fork crown race removal tool
  • fork crown race setting tool (alternative: there's a used one on craigslist for only $20)
  • bike fork star nut install tool
  • tube cutter (alternative: a cpl heavy duty plumbing cutters on craigslist for approx. $60)
if the local bike shops weren't so nutz with the new bike frenzy, I'd probably bring it to one of them if I got stuck. I also toyed w/ the idea of just replacing the bike, which I bought used for $200. I've already spent more than 1/2 that on the items above. maybe the bike isn't worth it, but it's my bike & finding another decent used one, my size, right now, that I can justify, is very limited (& then I'd have to sell this one). (I found 2, 1 for $600 & 1 for $900)

this is the bike (fork = SR Suntour XCT, 80mm travel)
GT Timberline 1.0 29er (frame size = L)

this is fork I ordered

SR Suntour XCT Mountian Bike Bicycle Cycling Fork 29er Coil Travel 100mm 9mm QR

anyone swap forks regularly? or any one-timers w/ memories or suggestions? did I already goof somehow?
A screwdriver works for removing the race but be careful with it. It’s easy to gouge the crown. A length of plastic or copper tubing works to set the race on the fork. The setter is just a slide hammer and PVC will hold up to the impact. 2” PVC should work but take the fork with you to be sure. Tubing cutters will cut the steer tube but they tend to raise a bead around the tube that flares out and make fitting parts of the headset difficult. You’ll need a file to dress the top. If you are going to buy tools, buy a threadless headset cutting guide and use a hacksaw. It’s far easier than the hose clamp method.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: