Old 05-25-20, 08:37 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
If you can afford new wheels (and TIRES) and they allow you to drop several hundred grams, I say go for it. Depending on the tires and tubes, you can save a couple hundred grams just there as well. Key concepts being "afford", "several hundred" and "tires and tubes".

I'm a marginal weight weenie, but I noticed and enjoy lighter wheels and light good quality tires and tubes (again, assuming the difference is several hundred grams, not just a hundred or so). I don't think I go "faster" in any meaningful way, or at least that makes any meaningful difference in a 30 mile ride with my buddies. Can anyone tell if they're even 30 seconds faster on any given ride? I don't fool myself in meaningful performance gains. But, to me they just feel livelier accelerating - which is just fun. And the whole bikes feels lighter when i schlep it into the back of my car or on to the hooks in the ceiling of the garage. That's also fun.
Hi! I got the bike with a 50% discount due to a local trek bike offer on the 2020 Domane AL2 so even with new wheels the total is lower than the retail price found on trekbikes.com so I can afford it. For me the quality of the wheels and if I really will feel any difference its the question because as said in many ways my many in this tread when first up to speed new wheels will most likely not make me the rider with any added turbo engine due to new and lighter wheels. Anyway thanks for replying
Likes For hsea17: