JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Vermont roads--even paved ones, of which there are not many--tend to be rough. The narrowest clinchers I use are 28mm, so I'd like to start with some wide, relatively low-pressure tubulars. I can't see 22mm tires pumped up to 140 psi working out well for me. What's a good beginner option in a wide tire, preferably a butyl-tubed one?
One of the nice things about tubulars is that you can run them at low pressure without worrying about pinch-flats, so unless you're in competition, there's no compelling reason to use super-high pressure. They also tend to have the ride comfort of somewhat wider clinchers. I suspect a 25mm tubular would provide a similar ride to your current 28mm clinchers.

Will tires of that width fit well on an early 70s rim that was probably designed with 22-24mm tires in mind? I can't give an actual width, because I don't have the wheels in hand yet.
In my experience, tubular rims are quite tolerant of tire width variety.

Also, is anyone here riding on a set of Tufo HICC 28s? They seem to be reasonably priced--an important criteria for me--but I can't find much information about them.
I haven't used them myself, but most reviews of the Tufo tires suggest they are not the most lively-feeling tubulars.