Old 05-29-20, 02:03 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
I guess your definition of "basic" and "special" are different. Seven only makes custom bikes, so unless you and I are exactly matched up in body dimensions and riding preferences, mine is a unique bike and so will yours. But also, if you've observed Seven's welds, you would know why they are so special. Those welds are so perfect, no extra material, perfectly shaped beautiful crescent moons overlapping.

I've spent hours in bike shops looking at welds, and none of the mass manufacturers care about the welds. Even other Ti frames have ugly welds, either all smoothed out or big lumps. So I would say all in all, Seven frames are pretty special.
Nice welds indeed. When it comes to Ti construction, I imagine that welds are the most common point of failure, given the technical difficulties in welding Ti, so as I see it, the more experience the welder has, the better (ie, high volume isn't necessarily a vice). My bog standard mass-produced Litespeed has pretty decent welds too. I think the point others are making is that, at the end of the day, your Seven is a mass-produced (albeit very well-made - I'm not denigrating Seven at all) consumer item that anyone with a few grand to spend on a frame can buy - it's not the Mona Lisa.

Last edited by Litespud; 05-29-20 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For Litespud: