View Single Post
Old 05-30-20, 12:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How long was your recovery period? My right shoulder is messed up but, unless something traumatic happens, I'm going to wait until November to get it fixed.
Originally Posted by philbob57
I followed my surgeon's advice to stay off the road for 3 months. IIRC, I got back on the trainer after 6-8 weeks, but he was none too happy about that. OldTryGuy had similar surgery, IIRC, and got on the bike very soon (a few days?) after surgery. I didn't have the replacement done until I was using opioids every day, and I don't like opioids.

The problem, according to my surgeon, is that one popular method is to cut through a big shoulder muscle, and it takes 6 weeks for the muscle to knit well. If you rotate your arm/shoulder more than 90 degrees too soon after surgery, the muscle separates, and it's very difficult to reattach the 2 parts of the muscle, because they retract quickly and require a lot of force to put them back together.

There's another form of the operation in which the surgeon goes through the back of the shoulder, which is trickier, because it's hard to get to the right place, according tomy surgeon. Also, a lot of people say recovery is very painful. It takes a lot of PT, and I did my exercises at home.
Replacement was via FRONT with sling off next day and riding 2 days later. Concern was for stitching NOT JOINT INTEGRITY and pain was almost non-existent. Acetaminophen did the job very nicely. Age was 66 and wish I had found Dr. Moor much sooner.