Old 06-04-20, 05:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Oh I agree... but I am actually talking about communication beyond a mere glance... hand waves, nods, and simple gestures to an otherwise empty street that indicate real connections between people.

Frankly, in the heyday of my work commuting cycling, I was lucky to even get a glance, and more often than not it was a driver looking through me, not at me. This is decidedly different. I don't expect it to continue when heavier traffic returns and motorists are just playing "follow the leader."
Sounds a lot like my commute in Toronto Canada.

On a lot of busy city roads, drivers have so much to watch out for such as pedestrians stepping off sidewalks whilst looking at their cell phones, or wrong direction riding bicyclists or bicyclists blowing stop signs or red lights. Other than the cell phone users, I saw all that during my commute along Bloor Street. And many times people would step off a sidewalk without looking.

I try to be aware of my surroundings and what people and drivers are doing. I ride in the lane near parked vehicles, so I have a better sight line in case someone does step out from between parked/stopped vehicles. On side streets I do the same in case a child darts out onto the road in front of me.

Cheers