View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 11:17 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Here in California , as in many states , it is illegal to pedal a bike on a sidewalk. I took cycling class in the seventies at a local Community College and was taught the vehicular cycling method of cycling. If you are walking your bike you are a pedestrian and may use crosswalks and sidewalks. The minute your fanny hits the saddle and your feet are on the pedals, you are a vehicle. It is that simple . If the road is too dangerous , then walk your bike on the sidewalk or find a detour. We have a "Share The Road" law here that is supposed to give you a 3' barrier , but even the police do not observe it. We do have share sidewalk/ bike lanes but they are marked with a separation stripe which designates an area for pedestrians and one for bikes, very few honor it! I have been yelled at by pedestrians for being on these "multi use paths" so I avoid them if at all possible. I am not out to educate a pissed off pedestrian, I am just out to ride my bike. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.
California has no state wide legislation regarding where cyclists ride, it is up to each city/county. Ventura county restricts cyclists from sidewalk riding in business districts.

Also a bicycle is not a vehicle under the code in California.