View Single Post
Old 06-08-20, 08:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
I have 2 Terns and a Dahon. The Dahon has a shim, but neither of the Terns (S8i and X11) have a shim, so its interesting to read that your S11i does have a shim, sweeks. I would have thought Terns would all be the same in that regard.
I confirmed with my Tern contacts that the newer Terns do not have the shim. News to me! If the post and the inside of the seat tube are *verifiably* grease-free, nad you have the clamp adjusted so it's moderately hard to close, the seatpost should not slip. When my Tern was new, I had some slipping initially that went away after a couple weeks... I think the surfaces needed to wear in a bit. That was a shim-based system. You might consider wiping the post and the inside of the tube with acetone to degrease the interface. I would lubricate the cam on the seatpost with a good high-pressure grease, being careful not to get any on the seatpost-seat tube interface.
Likes For sweeks: