Old 06-08-20, 09:48 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Sorry for the double post - this came in while submitting my previous post.
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Someone had mentioned a vise, which you probably don't have. But here is a video on how to use one to get off a tough tubeless tire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdP...ature=youtu.be

When you, or someone else gets the tire off, talk to a bike shop about what tires would be easier to get off the rim. Lugging a 40lb vise around to change flats is probably not a good option.

John
I have a vise, and I'll try that. When purchasing a new tire for this new rim (old tire had a cut in the sidewall, and old rim had some broken spokes and other issues) I decided to purchase the same tire I had before. On my stock rims, the Schwalbe Marathons didn't have this problem. In fact, after breaking in, the Marathons become so loose that it takes no effort to remove the tire off the wheel. Of course, you have to be careful when reinflating the tire as it likes to bulge off the rim. The Marathons are 26x2.0".

When purchasing this tire, I was contemplating going with my second choice - the Conti Double Fighter III - instead of another Marathon. The Double Fighter III is a 26x1.9" tire, which may be a lot better fit for this rim. If it seems like this tire just isn't going to agree with this rim, I may end up returning it (if possible) an getting the Double Fighter.

However, that would be a last resort. These Marathon tires are pretty decent tires, actually work well tubeless (despite being marked as a "tube-type" tire), and match the bike's color scheme almost perfectly. Plus, I have a Marathon on the front. It'd be a shame to throw away this perfectly good tire... especially because it has less than 20 miles on it.

Edit: As mentioned in last post, I plan to try a vise. If unsuccessful, I'll take it to a local bike shop to see what additional tricks they may have up their sleeves to get it off.

Last edited by fullergarrett; 06-08-20 at 09:57 PM.