Old 06-09-20, 07:26 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
Huh???
If the "mismatch" issue was/is common, as many of the commenters in this thread are claiming, then wouldn't chain and cassette would be sold in sets?
If the chain is replaced before it is worn beyond the point of no return, you dont have to replace the cassette. This is the key, making sure you don't run a severely worn chain on your drivetrain. If you replace the chain before it starts to deform the cassette, then a new chain will mesh properly with the rest of your drivetrain. I was surprised the first time i had these same skipping symptoms on a bike that i had just replaced the chain, as it was only a year old - but i logged a lot of rain miles on that bike, and wore the chain too far before replacing - could only ride on the biggest 2 cogs in the rear without skipping under load. New cassette was needed, and it rode like new after. Luckily the crank chainrings were still okay. I now keep a closer eye on the chain wear of all my bikes.

ps: you need a new cassette