Old 06-09-20, 09:56 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve
I rolled snake eyes on my ebay upgrades. The pedals look like they'd be a good fit for a French 4th grader with a size 5 shoe and I was holding up the Stonglight crank to the old Silstar one and all of a sudden all the chainring talk in here snapped into focus. I wouldn't be breezing up too many hills with 52/44 so that thing is going back. Buyer pays return shipping live and learn.
So, back to square one? And don't worry about asking lots of questions. It's a big reason this forum exists. We pretty much just buy and sell vintage stuff, show off vintage stuff or ask and answer questions about vintage stuff.

A couple things that I think got lost in the shuffle that you should pay attention to:

1. Different cranksets require different bottom bracket spindle lengths so that you get a good chainline and so the small ring doesn't rub against the chainstay. You can generally find the correct length by googling "[bottom bracket name] bottom bracket spindle length", e.g. "Stronglight 93 bottom bracket spindle length." You may need to buy a new spindle that works with your bottom bracket or a whole new bottom bracket.

2. Your bottom bracket threading is most likely French. If you end up needing to purchase a whole new bottom bracket because you can't find the right spindle length or you just want to modernize and go with a catridge style BB then you will need to buy a special bottom bracket. Velo Orange and a handful of other companies sell new cartridge French bottom brackets in various spindle lengths: https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...e-alloy-cups-1