View Single Post
Old 06-09-20, 12:05 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by takozukuri
While I am new to this thread (and very excited to have discovered the forum and this specific thread), I am not new to bikes. Of course, everything is relative. I have ridden bikes in two phases of my life. The first as a fledgling and the second as a so-called-adult … with a big gap in between for college and young family-life.

After looking at this forum a couple of times over the years for different purposes (e.g. getting feedback on how to service my wheel hubs, headset, change cassette, chains, etc), for some reason, this time, I did a search for “FX.” I couldn’t believe what I had stumbled on to … the OFFICIAL TREK FX THREAD! Very cool. I had so much fun seeing all the conversations, thoughts and stories of the persons that have mounted this bike (or considered mounting this bike). To put it into perspective, I read or skimmed the 1717 postings (at time of this posting) on this thread. Love it! We belong to a very neat club!

I’ve been riding (again) since 2010 when two things happened. The first, my Dad won this 7.3 at a charity silent auction. I don’t know how much he bid … but he did and he walked away with a sparkly new bike. I’m positive he would have loved to hold on to it, but the fact is he is 6’-3” and I’m 5’-10” … same genetics, but not same frame-size. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure he ever “officially” gave me the bike … but at this point, the bike is mine! The second event ... I discovered my “golden passage” to work. Depending on the route du jour, my commute takes me along 20 to 25 miles (one-way) of heart-pounding bliss. What a ride … I’ll have to share my route and experiences in a different posting! I come home with a smile on my face! :-)

Since my gift and my discovery, I moved from my mountain bike (no brand) to my Trek 7.3. I have abused my 7.3 for approximately 20000 miles (in round numbers, about 1000/year for the first five years and 2500/year since), I’ve wrecked several times, run into two cars (one moving and one parked), lost consciousness (once), had near misses with mammals, reptiles, insects and birds, been yelled at a few times (mainly by the mammals), had dozens of flats, four sets of wheels, multiple chains and cassettes, introduced my girls to riding and had thousands of miles of fantastic tailwinds and headwinds.

With that, I leave you (for the time being) … I need to figure out my next repair(s)!
WOW, can you shower when you get to work, or is all downhill?I'd arrive soaked! I still prefer the look of, and have 2, no-disk-brake bikes.