Old 06-10-20, 05:59 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d
hey alcjphil,

thks for the reply. that was a great link but it did not have the info on wrench sizes i will need for bottom bracket and hubs. it was interesting to see the original equiptment list. that is in fact what i have except in the cases where the components are missing i.e. front derailluer and shift levers
For the bottom bracket, what tools you need will depend on the type. I suspect in 1987 you would have still had a 3 piece adjustable cup and cone BB, but am not sure about that. If you still have that, you need a combination of a lockring and pin spanners to remove the adjustable cup (NDS) and then either a fixed cup tool or just a big adjustable wrench to remove the fixed cup (Should have wrench flats on two sides) on the drive side. If the BB is a more modern cartridge type and its Shimano, you need a Shimano splined BB tool. In either case, the right side cup is reverse threaded so turn clockwise to remove. And be warned, if you are dealing with the cup and cone type, the fixed cup might be on there really tight.

For shimano 600 hubs, a standard set of cone wrenches...13,14,15,16,17mm ..should give you all you need for the front and rear hubs.