Old 06-10-20, 08:29 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Why did you not get a Lake model that features the wide options? I tried several shoes as well and pretty much won't use anything but Lake at this point. They are heavy though. Don't they have on their website very detailed instructions and templates for measuring your foot to order the right size?
Perhaps my original post wasn't clear... I did use Lake's sizing template and while my foot is kinda wide (D-ish width), their site didn't require me to get a wide width in the CX237. Perhaps a wide might work, but $$$... I can only experiment with shoe sizes as budget allows and I've spent a LOT on return shipping

Also note that I wrote, "They fit my foot reasonably well and are comfortable for the most part." The pointy toe of the shoe is the reason my toes are pushed together, that's an issue with the last (shoe shape template) used to make the sure. Sure, I could buy a shoe that's way too large to reduce my toes being pushed together, but that creates other issues.

One challenge I have is that while my fore foot (across the base of my toes) is relatively wide, my heal is not. Companies like Giro offer an HV (High Volume) shoe as their answer to wide shoes, but those don't work for me. High volume shoes make my heal slip because I often can't tighten the shoes enough due to the volume.

Have any of you tried the Shimano SH-RC500, the mid-level S-Phyre shoe? Amazon has them with free return shipping and they aren't too insanely priced. The don't come in a wide version, so I'm not sure if it's even worth trying them...

****** EDIT *****
Aw, shoot... answering my own question. At least one reviewer for the Shimano SH-RC500 on PerformanceBike stated...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 06-10-20 at 08:35 AM.