Thread: Bibs or shorts?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-20, 11:46 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
An (ancient) way to get the benefits of bibs at lower cost and far more convenience. Clip-on suspenders. They'll get you laughed out of forums but they do the same job of keeping the chamois snugly fitted to you. They also stretch out the waistband so it isn't very many rides until you get bib-like waist comfort. And every time you have to do sit down "business", wow! are suspenders a huge plus. The same model as shorts instead of bibs is typically $10-20 cheaper so the suspenders quickly pay for themselves. And down the road, suspenders are far easier to correct for the inevitable stretch that both suspenders and bibs get.

I've been using suspenders now 44 years. They work. Bought one pair of very good bibs. They have lots of life left but I haven't sat down and resewn the bib straps tighter so they now fit like a pair of old suspendered shorts with the straps too loose.

Ben
I've been wearing suspenders off and on for 40+ years as well, and as long as they fit well, I have no problem with them, either. In fact, up until a few years ago, I never even knew bibs existed........LOL. I still haven't tried a pair of bibs, but I will some day.
Likes For jim_pridx: