View Single Post
Old 06-12-20, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7078 Post(s)
Liked 11,161 Times in 4,767 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The formula is correct but the explanation is a little convoluted. "n" can't represent two things in the same formula.

Let n represent the number of bicycles you need. That is all. The number of bikes you need is equal to the number of bikes you need +1. Even if you eliminate n from both sides of the equation (which you wouldn't because then there is no equation) you still have +1.

This is the formula you run when considering whether you should buy another bike. It also works when the wife looks in the garage and asks "How many bikes do you need?" I usually remain silent but secretly run the formula through my head.

But I think this whole discussion is a little pointless. What one really needs is a spare rider. For those days when you feel you should ride but want to waffle. Just kick the spare out of bed and say "go ride". Clones would work I think. A twin if you should be so lucky.
No, the equation is definitely invalid. And if you subtract n from each side, you do still have an equation (two values separated by an = sign) which becomes 0 = 1. Which is why the equation is faulty.

What you are trying to represent is: x = y+1 Where: x = optimal number of bikes, and y = current number of bikes.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-12-20 at 11:11 AM.