View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 11:53 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I know you stated that you'd likely be staying in motels, inns and B&Bs, but for anyone else who might be doing the Pacific Coast anytime soon (or maybe even next year), the Oregon State Park campgrounds along the coast have a lot of Covid-19 restrictions, including the fact that most (if not all) of the hiker/biker sites are closed. And camping in regular sites is not open for first-come, first-served. Reservations only. I only checked a few of the parks, and on those the hiker/biker sites were closed at least through the end of July for one, until Sept. 7th for another, and no projected opening date on a third. You have to check the individual parks to get accurate information as they can vary by location. If Covid surges again next year, it will likely be more of the same. However, there are county parks and private campgrounds along there too, so that could be a possibility.

I've ridden the Oregon and Northern California sections of the Pacific Coast Route several times, and it is a great ride. Frequent services over most of it, beautiful scenery, great tailwinds for southbound riders in summer (often but not always), and those hiker/biker sites in Oregon were really great. Oregon's Hwy 101 has many miles of bike lanes, but California's Hwy 1 has few. Hwy 1 is very steep in short sections with lots of hairpin curves, so that at least keeps traffic speed down in those sections, but adds quite a bit to the overall climbing. Summer traffic in Oregon can get old, especially the noise of tires and engines. Bring some earplugs to at least cut the noise down if that gets to you.

You can get rain any month of the year, but of course it's less likely in summer, especially July and August. But the first time I rode it (2008), a 3-day storm hit in mid August. Strong south winds, plenty of rain. I waited it out in a motel. Fog can also be fairly frequent in summer.

I'm wanting to ride the Oregon coast soon to do a shakedown of a new lightweight touring setup (carbon road bike with bikepacking gear). But I'm waiting for things to open up a bit more. I live in Southern Oregon so don't need to arrange flights or anything like that.

Here's a status map of Oregon State Parks.

Last edited by simplygib; 06-15-20 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For simplygib: