View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 08:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
I'm one of the less evolved cyclists that installed a flat bar on my carbon road bike. Different body types do better with different bars and riding conditions. I ride on congested multipurpose bike paths with walkers (wearing ear buds), other cyclists, kids on trikes, joggers, etc. Even on dedicated bike lanes (often congested as well), cars sometimes overshoot stop signs, and drivers who hate cyclists occasionally cut me off. Given the stop-and-go congestion, the opportunity to ride on the drops is limited. Also, I have short fingers and don't have the same confidence braking from the hoods as I do from a flat bar. I've ridden both, and I have a much quicker braking response on the flat bar. Being in my 70s, I don't need is to go down, so the trade off between speed and hand position is worth it. One size doesn't fit all.

I don't know you, but I'd bet that you ride faster when you're confident on the flat bar than you would nervous on the drops.