FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
fair enough, but outside ~9-5 M-F, time/cost ceases to be the primary arbiter of how I spend my time. Earlier this year I spent ~2 months on&off evenings and weekends bringing my old Subaru back from the brink, but saved ~$4k in the process. Did I spend $4k of my time doing it? Don’t know, don’t care. I like doing stuff like this -I learned a lot, bought a few nice tools along the way, and my old and patina’d wagon is back on the road, giving me the warm fuzzies every time I drive it. If I had calculated ahead of time how many hours I would spend, and how much that time was “worth”, the car would likely be in the junkyard and I’d be making a payment on another car. Sure, I like saving money, but sometimes the doing is it’s own reward
Our perspectives are different, possibly due to us doing different types of work for our salaries. My primary job and money producer is traveling to work on machinery at customer's locations. So, when I work on one of the family cars after work or on a weekend, it's yet another service call on my schedule.

The only repair or maintenance work I enjoy right now is wrenching on one of my bicycles. At least that kind of work is done solely for me.
Likes For FiftySix: