View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 01:53 PM
sodsbodkings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
With the exception of the 16" Brompton, rolling any folder is something you only want to do for short distances. Also, it may depend on where you live, but in the crowded city where I live, rolling even a folding bike in stores is very hit or miss in terms of permission. Trader Joe, for example, is always crowded and they won't let in any folded bike not even a Brompton.
For that reason, I opted for the lightest folder I could afford so it's super easy to pick up and put in the shopping cart as kayakindude mentioned above. And in stores where the bike is permitted, it's so light I can easily hold it in one hand while i shop.
I suggest you check out your favorite places and see what they will permit or won't, if you have not already done so. If they're all good with rolling your folder through, then go for it. Sounds like the Pacific Reach Birdy might be an option for you as the frame doesn't have a hinge and it folds quickly and easily. Tires are not quite as big as you want but it has full suspension.
I don't live in a mega huge city so no problems with bringing in a folding bike - baby prams are bigger, etc.
I don't want to hold my bike in one hand while I shop.
Pacific Cycles Birdy - dubious name given that there's a folding bike brand called Birdy - it does have a 20in wheel. It looks like the brand is based in Taiwan ... will do digging..

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 06-21-20 at 02:04 PM.