View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 04:18 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
1983 Motobecane Jubile Sport

It's a 1983 Motobecane Jubilee Sport with a frame made of some kind of lower cost Columbus tubing, maybe straight gauge Aellle.

About that time, Motobecane, Peugeot and Gitane all brought out lower to mid range priced bikes with lugless construction.

This was different than classic lugless brazing which built up a thick fillet around the joints - see below. Motobecane called their process "INEXTERNAL BRAZING" and their BS marketing artists billed it as something new!

The technique has been used for many years for brazing furniture and lots of other products made of tubing. It entails using "preforms" made of brazing alloy placed inside and/or outside of the joint to be brazed. The joints are then furnace or hearth brazed.

In reality it was an attempt to save money over lugged construction frames to compete against the low cost Asian bikes that were taking over the market.

The reason I've mentioned all this is the paint at the seam where the down tube and head tube meet doesn't look right. The person who applied enough force to bend the forks that much could have over stressed the brazed joints too!!! I'd inspect the head tube joints carefully.

BTW they're not lugs on the head tube, it's been rolled to look that way.

I've never seen a frame failure in the lugless French bikes made that way in the early 80's but there sure were a lot of braze and weld failures in CHEAP department store kid killer bikes before the CPSC rules came out. That was one of the stupid reasons for crash testing bikes....

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-22-20 at 04:22 PM.
Likes For verktyg: