View Single Post
Old 06-26-20, 01:43 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,696 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I meant to say Las Flores, not Tuna. Tuna going down is scary! Both brakes all the way.

I actually went up Gibraltar two weeks ago. I was pushing it since I wanted to beat my time, which I did. With Mt. Baldy, I am not trying to beat my time, I just want to get to the top alive. I seldom have to zig zag on a road (there are a few very steep but short streets where I do), but Baldy is one where I have to for a stretch.
las flores is ridiculous. simply ridiculous.

have often though about going up tuna canyon against the "one way" road mandate. not as worried about the cars as i am about the cyclists descending.
tuna canyon would seem to be even harder than the ascent of las flores and i'm not the safest rider but i gotta draw the line somewhere and it's not because i'm worried
about suffering...more worried about not colliding with a speeding rider/auto. i'll descend tuna every few years to gauge loss of hand/forearm braking strength over the years.

baldy is tough as bleep and boring. road surface blows and then you get beat up on the descent as well. it's an accomplishment getting past the "bowling alley," whether you're riding or walking.
personally prefer to summit dawson saddle with the better views, higher el and better pavement.

gibraltar is exposed and get afternoon scorchy. morning with the overcast are best for the climb which has some tough ramps here and there. not much fun to descend but the attached east camino cielo
(along with gmr/grr) is imho, among the top two mountain roads in socal.

i'll still stick by my position that the upper mile of the palm springs tram road (without elevation considerations-like baldy) is/was tougher than anything else in socal for a comparable distance.
unfortunately, the local tribe installed a guard gate some years back so no bikes on that brutal stretch (altho you can walk or run it). pavement was the best i'd ever seen it about two years ago
(8.5/9 outta 10) on the last visit. pavement used to be a 5.5/6.