Old 06-28-20, 01:13 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I'm really glad to see the containers weren't all really mayonnaise jars -- who could ingest that amount of mayonnaise (and stay sane)? I mean, I like it, but a jar lasts way too long in this family at best! Always at least half left when the expiry date was a year ago.
They aren't 'all' mayonnaise jars but there's still a ton of them. Of course, it may represent a families life time consumption of mayonnaise?
Unless he came across a source for empty jars somewhere?
(When I was a kid, my grandmother worked for a catering company and restaurant for years, she brought home ever 1 gallon or larger jar they used in the kitchen). When she died we found hundreds of jars full of pennies in the basement all in huge pickle jars and glass water cooler jugs. It took four trips with my work van at the time to haul them away. I still have a few filled with steel pennies from during the war that she saved.

Finding old jars used as parts containers is common, there's usually just not so many of them in one place. Its the first time I saw someone had cut up thousands of inner tubes to make their own rubber bands. I have seen new tubes rapped in cut pieces of inner tube before, so I figure that's where he got the idea.

Give most people a reason and they'll hoard or save just about anything, apparently the thing to hoard now is toilet paper.