View Single Post
Old 06-30-20, 08:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought the derailleur alignment tool when I got frustrated with my noise in the rear, and it hit the spokes on the largest cog. I used it that once, got everything in perfect alignment and my bike has been dead quiet ever since (well almost, see below). I tried to use it on another bike but found the thread was different enough that I didn't want to force it. I used it on one other bike that didn't really need alignment, and then just last week again on my main ride, where it was still in alignment from the first time a few years ago. The noise that I had was actually cassette spacers in the wrong place after I removed and cleaned it.

So, why do I say all that? You just don't need that tool for personal use except for that one time. If you think you need it let a shop do it. The cassette tool OTOH you will use often enough that you probably want the one that fits your bike. Luckily they are mostly only in 2 flavors, Campy and Shimano. I have both because I have bikes with both. The Campy one serves as the crank tool too, except that Ultra Torque is totally different than the crank it was used for. I have the Campy bearing puller that I doubt will ever get used again. Oh, a chain whip if you have the cassette tool is essential. Yes, you can wrap an old chain around your hand and do it that way, I did it for years, but the tool costs under $10. You don't need the Park one. A tube of grease is needed but I bought a tube of Phil grease in 1980 and I'm still using it! Cup and cone bearings use more of that than anything else, but who still has cup and cone bearings? Only on vintage, which I did just last week. I have enough to last another 20 years it looks at the rate I use it, or more like 40 as I'm winding down here at 65 years old and won't use much. I have cone wrenches from that same period, headset tool, old hook style bottom bracket tool, pin spanner. I bought all that when I took a bike mechanics course. A lot of it is still barely used.

And unless you work on vintage bikes, and I have a few, you don't need much more than allen wrenches. Threadless headsets? Allen wrenches. Derailleurs and shifters? Allen wrenches. Pedals? Allen wrenches. Seatpost and rails? Allen wrenches. All the bolt ons? Allen wrenches. Crank extractors? Allen wrenches, at least on some. You get the picture.

Edit: Add on a chain tool for when you need to swap chains, but use quick links when you do, and a spoke wrench for an occasional true up if you know how to do it. Neither are expensive.

Last edited by zacster; 06-30-20 at 08:32 AM.