Thread: New bike...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-20, 04:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
First, of course, ride the bike before you buy it, if at all possible (who knows these days?)

If you want stability, I think a longer wheelbase combined with a slack head tube angle and high trail is what you want.

I had fun but" twitchty" bikes. But since I commute and do a little distance on the weekends I wanted something more stable. My 2015 Charge Plug had longer chain stays and more relaxed geometry. I find I don't have to "sheppard" the bike as much as the others, that is, fewer steering corrections.

Also, some of the newer bikes allow for bigger tires, which may or may not be slightly slower, but definitely more comfortable. My 1984 Nishiki roadbike can only fit 28s, but they are more comfortable than 24s. My befendered Charge Plug Commuter can fit 35s. But my drop-bar converted 1997 Nishiki Blazer Mountainbike wears 26x 1.85 slicks and it is fast and very, very comfortable...just a little heavy because of the frame.

And I agree, buy and ride NOW while you still can. I'm "only" 58 and in decent shape, but my body keeps surprising me in very unpleasant ways. I have some older friends and if you can ride now at 72 and enjoy it...Buy that bike and enjoy!

...my two cents.