Old 07-04-20, 02:28 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tNuvolari
No. I don't think it is. I admit I had a fun time trying to figure out the correct way to mount the inner cage but pretty sure this is correct. Again, since it's not the correct cage, it looks different, especially from the front side.

I also noticed the RD attachment mount on the frame may be bent slightly. My frame is a 126mm rear spacing and so it is pulled out to accommodate 130mm of current standards and I think at some point the mounting angle became compromised. Not sure of the best way to bend it back as these old steel frames are still plenty stiff.
As I continue to ride, the shifting is pretty good although not perfect. It sometimes shifts two gears with one click and sometimes doesn't shift at all. I've tried adjusting the cable tension and I suspect that is the key although it could also be the bent RD mount and the inner cage. When adjusting cable tension, how much adjustment is necessary to achieve a different result? I mean is it generally several turns or maybe just a half turn? I do notice the adjustments doing things but not sure if I'm going too far the other way as it never completely solves the problems.
Ahh....I missed the part about the wrong cage. Yes, that one is mounted correctly.

The best way to fix your derailleur hanger is with the proper tool.....a good shop should have one.

Even a half turn is too much to adjust cable tension on an index system; try 1/4 turn or even less.