View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 02:05 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Shoot, I forgot to ask folks to also document with calipers the seat post diameter and / or the upper seat tube seat post opening. This is to try to document and determine the specific Columbus tubing used in the frame. It has been speculated the 2nd generation Super Speciale / Superlight frames with drilled Campagnolo dropouts and fork tips were made with SL in at least some of the frames (smaller frames) rather than SP tubing.

Here is a look at a Pearl Silver Blue Superlight that was at Eroica California 2018. It had been put up for charity auction but did not make it opening bid of just $400!! Maybe because of its 54 cm size? I would have brought it home even if too small for me but I was traveling with my wife at the time! These pics are from a later Ebay auction for the bike, I don't believe it sold then either.

Drive side

Non-Drive side

Milled crank flutes, hand drilled (?) and relieved 52T and 42T Record chainrings. Earlier Superlights also had the crank arms drilled.

Milled Record seat post. Some were regular length, others shortened.

3TTT bars and stem, stem with elusive Italvega pantograph, one of the very few I've seen.

Drilled Front Campagnolo front brakes, note small drill patterns, later bar end shifters probably added by previous owner.

Typical Italvega water transfer decals, very fragile.

Drilled standard Campagnolo 1010 long dropouts, undrilled stock Nuovo Record RD.

Seat lug, tube, biconal seat stay and brake bridge detail. Note the gold dove English Columbus tubing sticker. Doesn't seem to differentiate for SP / SL tubing so far.

Non-drive side details including straight diamond cut out seat stay bridge, apparent absence of diamond cutouts on upper seat stay lug sockets, old California bike license and Wilshire West Bike shop stickers, Torresini design decal, brazed in cable guides, backside chainring drilling detail,

Last edited by mech986; 07-05-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For mech986: