Old 07-07-20, 01:39 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I think it's the balance of rear triangle to front triangle, combined with frame angles and fork rake, that determines the overall elegance / regalness. The more relaxed the angles, or the more rake in the fork, the easier it is to convey effortless forward motion. Then again, this can also go to an extreme, e.g., the Raleigh DL-1.

-Kurt
As an industrial designer that studied automotive design, proportion and gesture are incredibly important. Some designers don't have regard for it, and other sweat the details. One of the reasons I think a 66cm x 57.5cm frameset (Land Shark) works is that the seat tube axis "takes the lead" and doesn't leave the horizontal/vertical result to chance. Many large frames get not only really tall, but really long, and it looks like a squared-trapezoid. Like there should be a pane of glass in there. Kleins and Calfees get super long in the TT as their frames get big and I just never think it looks right, especially on a race frame. The Paramount is a bit long, but it wears its proportions well. My Expedition is a bit long as well, but the 45cm stays set it right on the money.

Look at this classy lady--just walking down memory lane here with old setups. Saddle not too much lower than it is now. @Andy_K 's favorite tires in the world.