Old 07-07-20, 10:59 AM
Halycon

Bikes: Bianchi Allroad 105, Cannondale CAAD12 105, Fuji Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative Cranks

Thank you for all of the responses! Looks like you guys are absolutely correct about this being the wrong crank for the frame.

I revisited the Trek website for the full 520 bike. This bike was originally designed around a Shimano Alivio T4060, 48/36/26 triple chainset. .

Shimano's website for the Alivio crank indicates it has a 50mm chainline (presumably at the 36t chainring) and a 181.7mm Q-factor. In contrast, the Sram website for Apex 1 Cranks i bought have a 42t chainring, a 45.5mm chainline and a Q-factor of 149mm. So it's no wonder the Apex 1 Crankset doesn't fit.

My confusion comes from the Review pics posted on Trek's website. Several of these review pics show Trek 520s that have 1x setups. (This forum won't allow to me link the pics because i'm a newb member). I just can't figure out the components they're using.

I'm don't wanna abandon the 1x project. And I don't wanna start from scratch on components as I already installed SRAM Apex 1 shifters, an Apex 1 Rear Derailleur, and brakes. In order to find a crankset/chainring combo that fits the Trek 520 Frame, i'm thinking about two options:

Option 1 -- The SRAM NX Crankset. On paper, it looks like this crankset should fit into the GXP bottom bracket i've currently installed if I add the included spacers. I'm not sure if the crankset will cause any problems when used in conjunction with my Apex 1 derailleur. I wanna use dropbars, so I don't wanna switch to a the NX shifter. This crank has a 32T chainring (upgradeable to 38T), a 49mm chainline, and a Q-factor of 169mm. I think that should be more than enough to clear the chainstays.

Option 2 -- The Shimano GRX RX-600 1x Crankset. I don't know if it's ok to mix a Shimano 1x crank with a Sram Apex 1 derailleur. Hoping this will work as an alternative after switching out the bottom bracket, even though it's a more expensive option. This crank has a 40T chainring, a 49.7 mm chainline, and a Q-factor of 151mm. This also looks like it will be enough to clear the chainstays.

If anybody have any thoughts, or other alternatives for cranksets, please let me know!

Thanks again!