Old 07-07-20, 02:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Only issue for the badwater link is that it is for runners that can't go fast enough for the evaporative cooling effect to exceed the amount of heat they are producing. Cycling you can do that. Anytime I'm sweating and over 16 mph in high 90's to triple digits, heat isn't an issue. Slow down and/or stop sweating, then it's time to be alert for heat exhaustion.
True up to a point. I ran into problems this past weekend, temps only in the low 90s, but bright, sunny, and a 10 mph tailwind. There were just enough hills on that route that I spent 2/3 of that stretch with effectively no wind. Perhaps in another month or two I'll be able to tolerate that combination of heat and humidity, but it was dicey without any cooling this early in the summer.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
If you add salt to your water you MUST add potassium too because without the potassium the salt is worse than nothing. I use half 'N' Half available in the baking section of most grocery stores. I add it to the water only when I need it.
Depends on the individual; I typically don't need extra potassium. My sweat glands seem to eject every sodium ion that comes along and hang onto the potassium, as my annual blood work shows. Exceptions may be very long days (300k plus) in 80-100 degrees, or after a week or so of long-ish (4 hours plus) rides in hot weather. Just give me a baked potato and a shaker of regular table salt, please!