Old 07-07-20, 06:46 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
I agree with rccardr and Spaghetti Legs on the point of risk and likelihood of this happening. I Just wanted to have a little something to look forward to, even if it is faux excitement! If I feel safe enough, I will probably be riding in that area on that weekend regardless of Eroica status. I am turning 60, but DAMN... I feel like a kid still! How did I creep into a higher risk group?
If things go as planned, by 2021, my wife and I will be more or less locals, and then I will have to manufacture some camaraderie instead of joining the Palazzo! Probably would be there already, but changing jobs in the health care field in the times of pandemic is a nebulous proposition.
What type of medical work do you currently do? I know they were trying to expand medical services in the Santa Maria area. I am with you, I want to feel some anticipation and excitement, and I do have that for the event and the riding. But realistically, I'm not confident that the event would go off in any large way given the way the pandemic is affecting California, particularly Los Angeles County. I would like to think Cambria and the Central Coast is minimally affected but travel and importation from outside would be a huge risk for Cambria as well as other participants. As for being in a high risk group, yeah, vintage bikes, mostly vintage riders and owners.

So do you plan to move to the Cambria area in 2021? Great idea and hope at that time or earlier you find a living property that suits your needs. Lots of nice stuff there, or if you want more modern, build it.

Originally Posted by davester
Another old (66) at risk guy here! I'm in for Neal's summer 2021 (or perhaps 2022) rolling party.

In addition to the health issues, bear in mind that Europe is not allowing flights from the US right now, meaning that the Italian Eroica staff would not be able to travel to and from California. Similarly, several eastern states are requiring 14-day quarantines of people coming from California. That might put a big damper on plans for people from those states. The more I think about this the less likely it becomes. Do I really want to travel to an event where a large fraction of the participants would likely be coming from a virus hot spot (Los Angeles region) just as case rates are ramping up...I don't think so.
Yes, lots of issues for travel currently and likely into the future. International and even domestic air travel is going to be a big issue since we really saw how individuals traveling spread the virus globally, and then on the ground locally. Also, for California, its not just from Los Angeles, but San Diego, the SF / Oakland Bay area, etc.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
3 months since my last post on this thread and the numbers are worse. I don’t think things are going to change to make this event a go. I still see denial and politics getting in the way of recovery. This virus is real and the threat of contracting it for a cycling event doesn’t seem logical. The organizers need to get honest about the probability of cancellation. I ride every weekend here in Ventura County and have been seeing groups of 6-8 or more cyclists riding very close together without masks . I don’t think I could wear a mask while riding either ,which is why I avoid others while riding and keep a huge distance effort. I would love to see this event happen and I understand the Eroica organization has put a lot into this, but they need to make the right decision based on logic and safety.
Unfortunately, a lot of riders out there just went back to what they always did. Being young (under 40) doesn't make you immune but less likely to have a really bad Covid case, but as we saw with Nick Cordero, age 41, who died a few days ago, anyone can be severely affected. Just a fact that most young people feel invincible no matter what. Yes, their risks are much lower, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't do their part in reducing risk overall for others. Some of the research suggests that riders at speed need to space much farther than just 6 feet for standing or walking. Some studies suggest increased distance for increased speeds, something like 16-20 feet for 10mph, 32 feet for 15mph and so on, due to the amount of ground you cover per second. Given that most of us are breathing and exhaling much more air volume while cycling/exercising, the amount of droplet spread is larger, leaving more in slipstreams which don't dissipate as fast unless good crosswinds. And of course, riding in a pack, the guy at the back is always breathing everything the whole pack is leaving behind. Normal face masks will not be terribly helpful in this type of scenario.

Now I did wear a surgical mask during the winter when it was quite cold and would dry out my throat and nose quickly without it. It wasn't easy but it certainly wasn't hard to get used to if you're committed to doing it. In this hotter weather, its sure a problem, but again, not insurmountable. The biggest issue is moisture so carrying a couple of masks, and letting them air/dry out during rest stops would help. Or just take a more leisurely pace or bike in windy conditions.

Originally Posted by gugie
1/3 of Cambria's population is over 65, one more thing to consider.

I hate to be that guy, but Eroica 2020 anywhere is a pipe dream.
Unfortunately, you're right and the risk to both Cambria's population and outside participants will be real. Oregon has been very lucky that the major urban centers have been spared mostly and the rest of the state is pretty rural so socially distanced normally. Cambria has many pockets of density and a relatively concentrated downtown social environment so they have to be careful. I'm sure the lack of tourism has hurt and helped in both senses.

For anyone who is interested, you can follow Aaron Linn, owner of Linn's Fruitbin farms and Linn's of Cambria. He rides quite regularly and we can enjoy his riding videos that he posts on Facebook. I keep in touch with him and he really wants to have this event but knows it must be done when its safe. Consider though ordering shipped Linn's products (including pies!!). You'll have to follow him on Facebook for access.

https://www.linnsfruitbin.com/