View Single Post
Old 07-08-20, 10:14 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
If you opt NOT to go with Sea Sucker (although I've read they are absolutely great) . . .

I have a Volvo wagon with factory roof rails, to which I added Thule aero crossbars -- great fit, very secure.
But none of my bikes have quick release wheels (disc brakes on trail bikes, and a single speed bike) so I opted for upright bike trays which don't require removing the wheels.
So I use the 1UP rooftop tray and it's excellent.

All aluminum fabrication, no plastic and no springs to wear out or to rattle, it holds the wheels with contact on the tires only, so no rim contact and no frame contact.
The Thule upright carrier on the other hand has many plastic parts and adjustment points, plus the base of the Thule career was so wide on the crossbars that I could fit only 2 on my crossbars.
The 1UP is very sleek and the mounts are less than 6 inches wide . . . I'm currently using 2 but I have room enough to add 2 more and carry 4 bikes by alternating their facing directions.

If you're short like I am, you'll need to become adept at stepping onto the rear tire to get the elevation to put the bikes on and off, or use a small step stool positioned alongside the car.
Likes For jimmyodonnell: