Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Torx drive is more resistant to "cam-out" than slotted or Phillips heads, and more resistant to stripping than hex drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
I suspect that they tolerate use with worn drivers better than hex, Torx kind of makes sense when reading the numerous posts on this forum asking for help with stripped-out hex drive fasteners.
^ This.

Always thought two things:

1. Torx is better at avoiding "cam-out" (fouling the heads' threads) than Phillips.

2. Mfrs, generally speaking, seem to under-spec the size of the bolt (or screw) for the function. Trying to minimize costs, I'd bet.

Much of the "stripping" of the heads could be alleviated by having larger/deeper-headed Torx screws. Always can be less likely to strip things with better, hardened tools.

That said, I've still seen stripping, and occasional breaking, of a bolt/screw head ... even with Torx.

Prefer them, myself, I suppose, all things considered. So long as it's hardened bolts/screws, sufficiently beefy for the application, with a good tool, and so long as precautions are taken with anti-seize on the bolt/screw itself.