Old 07-11-20, 04:47 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah.. recorded rides. I ride a route I created and named.. and end result is I get:
Garmin Connect: "NYC Cycling"
Strava: "Morning Ride"
Ride wGPS: Typically named as the Date of the ride

Nothing is consistently named the same. This is the kinda stoopid software stuff that should have been easily solved years ago. If I don't ride a course, then perhaps it could default to something generic.. and maybe somehow Garmin could push the same ride name to Strava and RWGPS when it forwards?.
The name in Garmin Connect is really the date (and time).

I haven't seen what Strava does but it probably uses the date too.

So. Garmin uses the date, RWPGPS uses the data, and (probably), Strava does too. So, it is consistent.

(Actually, the activity is stored using a unique number. RWGPS does that too. The number is even more consistent but not meaningful to people at all.)

The "NYC cycling" is a label that you can change to be something more meaningful to you.

The "NYC cycling" label is pretty generic. It's the location of the start, which might not be so bad for places other than large places like "NYC".

You want it to be even more generic (like "my ride" for every one of them?). That seems much less useful. You'd have to change it in either case.

Using the course name doesn't make that much sense. You can not use a course, you can use a course later, you can use more than one course. And people often have useless names for courses.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is the kinda stoopid software stuff that should have been easily solved years ago..
It's three different companies. It's a concern that not many people are bothered by (I now know of one such person). It's not something worth dealing with. Especially, when somebody will be unhappy with what they would choose to do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-11-20 at 05:03 PM.