Old 07-16-20, 09:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
A far cheaper way to not be without your bike while getting the wheel fixed is to just have a cheap pair of backup wheels. Hell, the shop may even have a wheel they can loan you while they repair the broken one.
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Spokes will break, regardless. My carbon wheels have the standard J hook spokes. A year ago, on the two year old wheels I had a rear spoke break while I was out of the saddle climbing. It was a very inexpensive repair. I am surprised that you actually lost the entire spoke! There should have been part of it at the threaded nipple. It likely broke at the J bend.
Even better, I am buying a second bike. It was already planned to get a commuter bike. It's hard to find parts or bikes right now though with the current COVID context. LBS are out of everything.

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Spokes will break, regardless. My carbon wheels have the standard J hook spokes. A year ago, on the two year old wheels I had a rear spoke break while I was out of the saddle climbing. It was a very inexpensive repair. I am surprised that you actually lost the entire spoke! There should have been part of it at the threaded nipple. It likely broke at the J bend.
There is a part left inside which might be reusable. Still waiting for the LBS to call me back to see what had to be changed. I kept on riding when it happened because I didn't see anything or heard anything rattling after hearing the snapping sound. Perhaps the spoke was hanging loose & flew away after a few hundred meters. I'll never know.

Last edited by eduskator; 07-16-20 at 09:38 AM.