Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Nah ofc that’s enough. Also I would not lump “leaving chunks of wax on pulleys” and “dirty” together. Residue is not the same thing as grit. It’s not gonna accelerate wear or leave stains. Did you end up seeing a lot of grit?
Yes, I saw a fair amount of black waxy gunk everywhere. Enough to leave a nice black streak on my front derailleur from shifting.

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Or maybe you should find a lube that actually has some affinity for metal and is compatible with normal chain lubes. Seems to me the "you did the 25 step plan wrong" is an easy cop out to a product that isn't very user friendly in the first place. Like squealing disc brakes that gets blamed on the user for not doing the equally elaborate break in just right. Bahhh :-)

Paraffin is too hard to work well as a lubricant in normal temperatures, meaning it gets scrapped off where you need it and not replaced, because it can't move around like oil or grease. That's why it doesn't last long before the chain gets noisy. That combined with the hassle of hot dipping makes for the perfect storm of endless faff.

Were it me, I would dissolve some of the pellets in naphtha or lawnmower gas and use it to top up as the chain gets squeaky. - It dissolves better if its molten when you mix it. 4:1 or 5:1 should do it.
I went back to White Lightning. It sheds off keeping the drivetrain cleaner.